Digital Pedagogy, Not Reserved for the Online Course (Or, Why I’m Hyper for Hyperlinks)

I teach in a Criminology and Criminal Justice program that offers a bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree, and a 4+1 accelerated program allowing students to obtain their BA and MA in five years. To make our programs more accessible to students, we offer all of our graduate courses online every other semester. This means that […]

Digital Pedagogy, Not Reserved for the Online Course (Or, Why I’m Hyper for Hyperlinks)

I teach in a Criminology and Criminal Justice program that offers a bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree, and a 4+1 accelerated program allowing students to obtain their BA and MA in five years. To make our programs more accessible to students, we offer all of our graduate courses online every other semester. This means that […]

The ILLs of Public Scholarship

The readings from this week posed questions that collectively expanded both the notions of “scholarship” and “access”. In her article Beyond Academic Twitter: Social Media and the Evolution of Scholarly Publication, Leila Walker painted a picture of how social media platform such as Twitter will (and has) changed how scholarship is created and shared with […]

Digital pedagogical communities

I’ve been loving #DigPINS, not only for gaining a different perspective on pedagogy, but also because of how these topics are relevant to my professional research as well. One thing I’ve been researching lately are brand communities, or how people form relationships with other consumers …

Digital pedagogical communities

I’ve been loving #DigPINS, not only for gaining a different perspective on pedagogy, but also because of how these topics are relevant to my professional research as well. One thing I’ve been researching lately are brand communities, or how people form relationships with other consumers …

Small Teaching/Big Learning

I really appreciate the readings from week three – especially “Small” Teaching Online by Doug Lederman. In particular, his point that “we struggle to know what good teaching and learning looks like in online classes” really resonated with me. As a trumpet teacher, I cannot …

Things that make you go…hmmm…

Psychological science (my discipline) is pretty conventional/traditional. It has worked very hard (for better AND worse) for acceptance as a “real” science. It still holds anonymous peer review as the gold standard of quality and, in at least some ways, hasn’t yet developed the expectation that a “generalist reader” should be able to access, read, […]