Open source for content analysis

In thinking about open source materials during this round of #digPINS, I also realize that sometimes it might also be easy to overlook many open sources that we use all the time.  Take my own personal example of thinking about open source materials in geography.  While I did find a few texts (but not many),…

Week 5: Write Your Own Ending

Well, that’s the end. After a fashion. Because we were talking about identities, and networks of people, and our work, and those things didn’t end. So the question is, what do you want to do with this experience? Let me start with thanks. I have greatly enjoyed hearing your ideas and discussions over this month […]

Economics and Open-Access

Happy week 4 fellow DigPIN’ners.  This week was really enlightening for me, mainly because I am just starting my research journey and I believe that the research-climate is changing.  Economists are not the quickest to take up new approaches (sometimes we just like to rationalize the status quo).  I had a fun time researching open […]

Do you OACA?

This is another week of illuminating information in DigPINS. As a teacher/scholar interested in up-to-date research and teaching resources, I have continuously benefited from open access (OA) resources. My participation in DigPINS, however, has provided me with new and important knowledge regarding OA material, as Jim Ottaviani indicates in his article “The Post-Embargo Open Access…

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Many university consortia are attempting bold new deals to breakdown the high costs associated with academic publishing and its current restrictions on open access.  The new model driving these changes is known as “publish-and-read” and so far, there have been successes in establishing these sort of deals with publishers. The “publish-and-read” model combines publishing open…

Week 3, Bringing some digital flavor to Intro to Macroeconomics Class

Week 3, which is one week I was REALLY looking forward to!  However, I’m now catching back up because…. beach. There is SO MUCH information regarding economics that is dispersed digitally, it is REALLY silly to not find a way for students to ingest current information in this form.  However, sometimes I have this conversation with […]

Psychology not Easily Accessible?

I tried to find an open access article in my area of research with no luck, but did send one from the positive psychology field on positive education: https://internationaljournalofwellbeing.org/index.php/ijow/article/view/588 I found a list of open access journals in psychology and they seem to be marginal journals, and some don’t have many publications.  I did not […]

Teaching the Teachers

As SNC’s Director of Grant Development I often find myself in the position of teaching the teachers; that is, instructing our faculty (or staff) who are incredibly knowledgeable in their areas of expertise on my area of expertise: finding grant opportunities and developing and submitting grant proposals.  The vast majority of faculty and staff whom…